|Jan 18, 2012 - Winter Bike to Work Day|
Give winter cycling a try and you will be rewarded. Sign me up!The City of Boulder is celebrating its fourth annual Winter Bike to Work Day (WBTWD) to reward those who ride their bike all or part of the way to work, school or another destination around town. Ride and receive a free breakfast at participating locations from 7 to 9 a.m. Additionally, enter the WBTWD drawing for fabulous prizes by telling us about your ride using our WBTWD online registration form. You could win cycling gear that will make winter riding less breezy and more easy!
This year's festivities are presented by the City of Boulder/GO Boulder in partnership with the CU-Boulder Environmental Center and Boulder County Transportation Department.u
- Why should I register?
- Where are the breakfast station locations?
- Who participates?
- How should I prepare for winter riding?
- When are the bikeways plowed?
- Can I get a WBTWD event T-shirt or water bottle?
- Who are the 2012 WBTWD sponsors?
- What is the extended Forecast?
- Alfalfas at 1651 Broadway
- Community Cycles at 2805 Wilderness Place, Suite 1000 (just north of the Goose Creek path, west of the Foothills Parkway underpass)
- CU at SE corner of 18th Street & Colorado Avenue (University Memorial Center)
- Dushanbe Teahouse at 1770 13th Street
- Ideal Market at 1275 Alpine
- Moe's Broadway Bagel at 2650 Broadway
- Moe's Bagels on Arapahoe at 3075 Arapahoe
- Moe's 28th Street at 3267 28th Street
- Page Two at 6565 Gunpark Drive in Gunbarrel
- Pedal to Properties at 1949 Pearl Street
- Rally Sport Health and Fitness at 2727 29th Street
How should I prepare for winter riding?
Cyclists of all ages and abilities ride on WBTWD. Last year, over 1,200 cyclists registered their participation. This year's goal is to reach 1,400 cyclists.
The GO Boulder website offers information to assist with your commute, including bike and transit maps and GOBikeBoulder.net, a mapping tool that creates a customized bike route with turn-by-turn directions and calculates how far you will ride, how many calories you will burn, and how much gas you will save by not driving.
For those who want to learn to ride safely and comfortably, check out the Community Cycles Winter Riding Workshop on January 14, 9 – 11 a.m. To register and for more information visit www.communitycycles.org. Check out the additional wintertime commuter tips from Bicycle Colorado.
The Boulder Creek and Broadway paths are plowed first, followed by the Foothills Parkway path and other Greenway paths. The Boulder Creek Path is cleared by the Parks Department, while the Broadway path, from Baseline Road to University Avenue, is cleared by CU-Boulder facilities maintenance. All other multi-use paths are maintained by City of Boulder Street and Bikeway Transportation Maintenance (or the adjacent property owner). On-street bike lanes are cleared during street snow removal operations.
Can I get a WBTWD event T-shirt or water bottle?
Absolutely. We've designed some cool stuff for you to enjoy and share with others. A WBTWD shirt, mug, water bottle or sticker makes a great prize or incentive for you and your co-workers, visit Cafe Press to order now!